We arrived in Byron around 1230, very pleased to see we were greeted by a van from our hostel. The driver took us on a scenic route tour of the small town and we settled in to our hostel quickly, eager to go eat. We stopped at a crowded cafe, the Twisted Sista, hoping the crowd signified yum...and it did. Finally, we were able to find a delicious lunch in Australia! I had a huge veggie sandwhich [actually called a veggie turkish here] which came with a delicious side salad. After digesting our huge meals it was time to stroll the shops. Even though Surfer's Paradise is on the beach it is far from a "beach town" and the shops here were all very cute and the people all even more so laid back than the Australians I have encountered so far.
Once we felt as if we had a good feel for the town...our trip turned active. At our hostel you can "hire" [rent] bikes for free. Seeing as the light house of byron bay which marks the most eastern point in Australia was a 40 min walk from our hostel we, or rather, Rachel decided we were going to ride the bikes to the lighthouse. After trying to talk her out of it, explaining how long it had been since I road a bike, and many other unathletic excuses, my helmet was strapped on tight and my feet were peddling. Now I can vouche for the saying "its just like riding a bike" because the skill really doesn't go away and Rachel actually said she was quite impressed with my abilities. Which was a good thing...because this was no leisurely bike ride. It was all uphill. With each hilly section getting steeper and steeper. At one point we thought we were very close when we reached a sign for a lookout point. We turned down the path going down a sharp hill. Down this path on my bike was not something I was very fond of. And I was even less fond of the fact that when we got to the bottom we realized we were not at the light house at all...but rather just another beach and a lookout point that allowed us to see exactly how far away we still were from the lookout. This meant that we now had to ride/walk our bikes up this extremely steep path we just cruised down all for nothing. I was not very happy and spent the hike up drafting what miserable things I would write in this blogpost and various other threats to Rachel's life as well as the pictures I had taken with her. But when we made it to the top without me fainting yet I agreed to keep going [apparently to Rachel's shock- I guess she took my threats seriously, silly girl!] and promised to stop drafting mean blogs until we made it to the lighthouse. So we took out the map again and after a few minutes figured out the correct path to get there. The second I got back on my back I realized my legs were already sore. This did not bode well for the rest of our uphill climb and I did have to take a break to stop and walk my bike.
Exhausted we layed down at the hostel pool...both of us managing to pass out for about an hour. Eventually we managed to get up, shower and head out for dinner around town, calling it an early night as we were still so exhausted. When we get back to the room our roommates, three French girls, are tearing up the room looking for a cockroach. It was amusing trying to figure out what kind of bug they were looking for as cockroach is not a French term and they kept calling the bug a pet. We then settled in for the night and went to sleep...although it was not easy as one of the French girls decided to yell and shout to entertain another of her friends who had decided to stay in and go to sleep...but we know I can sleep through anything.
The next morning we had to wake up early to check out of the hostel. After checking out we hit the beach where I got some prime people watching in and another great nap. For lunch, another great meal. I had a sweet potato mixed with spinach, eggplant, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, and pesto. Delicious. The whole menu was different potato concoctions. It was made for me. After lunch it was time to head over for our surf lessons...or so we thought! When we first checked in the guy told us we were really early and that the bus would be there at 12:50 for our 1 pm lesson. As we got there at 12:40 we thought it was odd that he called us late. When the previous group got back we waited around figuring we would leave right after. But as our watches said 1:20 we figured we should ask again why we were leaving so late. Again the guy says we are really early and I ask him the local time. He informs us that our watches are an hour ahead! Now this is not because we did not think about the fact that we were in a new place and there might be a time change. I had asked the lady at the hostel the same question that morning to actually avoid this problem...and apparently had been given the wrong answer?? So either she doesnt know how to read a clock, the clocks changed that night...or any other excuse you can think of for her, but I was not so happy to know I woke up an hour earlier than I needed to. But we passed the time and before we knew it we were off to surf!!
The surf spot they took us to was beautiful and there was no one else on the beach but us. They gave us each rash suits and surf boards and we hit the beach. We started with some stretching, very much like yoga on the beach. The stretching portion itself was well worth my money and made me miss yoga [if only yoga in madison was on the beach!]. Next it was time for the instruction. We laid on our boards in the sand and we taught how to center ourselves, paddle, and stand- the basics in catching a wave. With these very brief lessons we were put into the water. They told us they would help us catch the first wave each...and they helped me catch each wave after that.
Post surfing the byron trip wound down. We grabbed dinner, yet another good meal, purchased post cards and headed back to the hostel to fill them out and gather our bags. If I had not explained before I have been buying and mailing postcards from every place I go as souvenier to have when I get back. Much cheaper and lighter than feeling the need to buy an actual gift from every place I visit. So Mom and Dad, be on the look out for those- we'll see if they all actually make it to America!
So the post cards got mailed and 2 bus rides later we are back on the gold coast. Three days of classes and then two weeks with the parents and I am very very excited :) !!! Perhaps Glenn can write the next blog post for us?!
No comments:
Post a Comment